Papers in Refereed Journals
- 2012 “Crete as Warriorhood: Visual Explorations of Social Imaginaries in ‘Crisis’”, Anthropology Today 28 (3): 7-11.
- 2014 “On Ambivalent Nativism: Hegemony, Photography and Recalcitrant Alterity in Sphakia, Crete”, American Ethnologist 41 (1): 56-75. [A photo by the author was chosen for the issue’s cover].
- 2015a “‘Fak Germani’: Materialities of Nationhood and Transgression in the Greek Crisis”, Comparative Studies in Society and History 57(4):1037-1069.
- 2015b “Reflections on Objects, Spirits and Images from a Present Becoming Damaged Future”, History and Anthropology 26 (4): 504-514, (Afterword in Special Issue: Archives and Anthropologies: From Histories to Futures - Guest Editor: David Zeitlyn).
-2016a “Proxy Brigands and Tourists: Visualizing the Greek-German Front in the Debt Crisis”, Visual Anthropology Review 32(1): 24-37. Special issue, edited by K. Kalantzis [A photo by the author/editor is featured on the special issue cover]
-2016b “Introduction--Uncertain Visions: Crisis, Ambiguity, and Visual Culture in Greece”. Visual Anthropology Review 32(1): 5-11, Special issue, edited by K. Kalantzis
Peer-Reviewed Papers in Edited Volumes
- 2015a “Shepherds as Images, Shepherds with Images: Photographic (Re)Engagements in Sphakia, Crete”, in Y. Hamilakis, P. Carabbott and E. Papargyriou (eds.), Camera Graeca: Photographs, Narratives, Materialities, pp. 313-335, Farnham: Ashgate.
- 2015b “From Infantilism to ‘Nativism’: Cosmology and the Social Imaginary in the ‘Crisis’”, in Metapolitefsi [Political Transition]: Greece on the Border Between Two Centuries, M. Avgeridis, E. Gazi and K. Kornetis (eds.), Athens: Themelio, pp.367-392. [in Greek]
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- 2012 “Visual Culture and Anthropology” in Material Culture: Anthropology in Thingland, E. Yalouri (ed.), pp.171-213. Athens: Alexandreia. [in Greek]
- 2015a “Postcards: Greek Desirability In and Out of Frame”, in Tourism Landscapes: Remaking Greece, the Venice Biennale Catalogue of 14th Biennale Architecture Exhibition, Y. Aesopos (ed.) pp. 296-303 [in Greek and in English] see tourismlandscapes.gr
- 2015b “Therasia as Place: Reflections for an Ethnography in Therasia”, in Therasia: A Timeless Route, K. Palyvou, I. Tzachili (eds.), Athens: Ta Pragmata, Pp 255-273. [in Greek]
- 2016 (forthcoming) “Visualising Madness: Ethnography and Alterity in the Filmic Representation of Mental Illness”, in Camera and Social Research: Recordings and Depictions, in A. Peglidou (ed.), Athens: Futura. [in Greek]
- (forthcoming) “Archaeological Ethnography in Neo Monastiri”, London: British School at Athens.
Special Journal Issues
“Uncertain Visions: Crisis, Ambiguity, and Visual Culture in Greece”. Special issue of Visual Anthropology Review 32 (1) 2016. The issue features six papers (by. A. Bakalaki, K. Kalantzis, E. Rikou and I. Chaviara, E. Yalouri, E. Basea) and one afterword (by C. Pinney). My contributions include the introduction to the volume and one single-authored paper.
I also created an online supplement to be used in teaching the special issue. http://societyforvisualanthropology.org/2017/02/var-supplements-spring-2016-var-321-special-issue-greek-crisis/
-Tradition in the Frame: Photography, Power and Imagination in Sfakia, Crete, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, [Series: New Anthropologies of Europe].
Invited Comments, Reviews
- 2013 “Comment” on “Infuriated with the Infuriated? Blaming Tactics and Discontent about the Greek Financial Crisis” by Dimitrios Theodossopoulos, Current Anthropology 54(2): 212-213.
- 2015 “Review of The Geographical Unconscious by Argyro Loukaki, Farnham: Ashgate”, Journal of Modern Greek Studies 33 (2): 403-405.
- 2015 “Review of Anthropology and Contemporary Art” edited by Elpida Rikou, Anagnoseis, Sept 6 2015. [in Greek]. http://avgi-anagnoseis.blogspot.gr/2015/09/blog-post_49.html
- 2014 “Dowsing the Past: Materialities of Civil War Memories” (47 min). Duties: direction, co-editing, camera, still photography, musical composition, (co-production with Leonidas Papafotiou and Giorgos Samantas).
Reviewed by Violetta Hionidou for the Journal of Modern Greek Studies 36(1), 2018, pp. 226-232
Public Screenings; Official Selection at: DocFest: Documentary Film Festival Chalkida, Greece (2015), Athens Ethnographic Film Festival (2015), Irish Institute at Athens (2015), San Francisco State University (2016), University of Bern, Department of Social Anthropology (2016), Twixt Lab (2016), Eutopic Workshop, Athens (2017).
The film is used in the teaching of courses by historian Violetta Hioniudou (e.g. HIS8053: Conflict in European History: case studies), Newcastle University.
Awards: Spotlight Documentary Film Silver Award (2016).