COURSES designed and taught by me
*Introduction to Greek Ethnography
(2014, Erasmus students, Anthropology Panteion University)
*The Culture of Contemporary Greece and
*Athens: Textures and Histories of Greece’s Capital”,
(2016, Undergraduate, Anthropology Department and Modern Greek Studies Centre, San Francisco State University)
*Greece and the European ‘Debt Crisis’: Explorations of Power and Nationhood in a Critical Conjuncture
(2016, Postgraduate, Anthropology, University of Bern)
*Photography and Anthropology,
(2019 and 2020, Postgraduate, UCL, Department of Anthropology , taught together with the members of the research group Photodemos, C. Pinney, N. Binaisa, I. Selejan, S. Young, V. Buthpitiya).
*Ethnography/Culture/Representation: Introduction to Anthropology,
*Cultural Politics/Critical Heritage
*The Anthropology of Tourism
*Culture and Communities: Visual Ethnography Studio Class
(2020 to present, Undergraduate courses, Department of Culture and Creative Media and Industries, University of Thessaly)
*"Don't shout (to) the tourist", 2024, Postgraduate, Cross-departmental MA, University of Thessaly (co-taught with Elsa Kiourtsoglou and Mario Hadjiprokopiou)
Details of the Courses Taught.
-7/4/2020 to present: Assistant Professor of Anthropology Media and Representation, Department of Culture, Creative Media and Industries, University of Thessaly.
-6/10/2020-7/4/2021 Lecturer teaching three courses that I designed [“Ethnography/Culture/Representation”, “Cultural Politics/Critical Heritage” and “Visual Culture” (13 teaching weeks), Department of Culture, Creative Media and Industries, University of Thessaly. [some online due to COVID-19 pandemic].
- 30/3/2020-30/8/2020 Adjunct Lecturer and course designer for: “Visual Culture”, Department of Culture, Creative Media and
Industries, University of Thessaly. [online due to COVID-19 pandemic].
- 10/1/2020 to 30/3/2020 and
- 10/1/2019 to 30/3/2019 (two academic years)
Lecturer for “Photography and Anthropology”, UCL, Department of Anthropology Term 2, taught together with 6 members of the research group Photodemos. Duties: co-designing and co-teaching the course, supervising students on their portfolios and papers.
- 1/9/2016-20/12/2016. (Adjunct) Lecturer in Anthropology, Institute of Social Anthropology, University of Bern (Universitaet Bern). Duties: Designing and teaching the course “Greece and the European ‘Debt Crisis’: Explorations of Power and Nationhood in a Critical Conjuncture”, supervising students and assessing their assignments.
- 1/1/2016-30/8/2016: Visiting Professor, San Francisco State University, Centre for Modern Greek Studies. Duties: Teaching and designing two courses, (“The Culture of Contemporary Greece” and “Athens: Textures and Histories of Greece’s Capital”); student supervision and assessment, delivery of two public lectures; convening events for academic guests.
- 1/1/2014-1/7/2014. Teaching Fellow/Guest Lecturer, Panteion University. Duties: Teaching undergraduate and graduate Erasmus students on “Greek ethnography” (in English), student supervision and essay grading.
Teaching of specific classes/seminars upon invitation:
- “Visual Culture: Photography, Ethnography, Power”, Culture-Borders-Gender/LAB, University of Macedonia, (invited by F. Tsimbiridou), 23/11/2020).
-“Doing Ethnography Through and with Photography,” MA in Social Anthropology, Panteion University), (course by E. Yalouri, 10/12/2019).
-“Citizens of Photography: The Camera and the Political Imagination”, seminar/presentation at the London College of Communication [MA Photography] along with the ERC PhotoDemos team (course convenor P. Tebbs, 23/3/2019).
-“Crete”, Undergraduate class at the International Center for Greek and Mediterranean Studies (College Year in Athens), (invited by A. Placas), Athens, (12/9/2016).
- One lecture per research season about ethnographic methods, anthropology of memory and archaeology, Koutroulou-Magoula Archaeology and Archaeological Ethnography Project, Neo Monastiri (9/2010, 6/2011, 9/2012, 8-9/2015, 6/2017, 6/2018).
- “Power and the Visual: Seminar on Postcolonial Art, Photography and ‘Aesthetics’”, Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology, Postgraduate Seminar, Volos, (20/12/2016).
- “Visual Culture, Power and Representation”, Department of Social Anthropology, Panteion University, Postgraduate Seminar (invited by Ε. Yalouri), Athens, (4/4/2017).
- “Ethnographic Film Production and Social Theory”, Universities of Athens, Patras and the Aegean, Postgraduate course in Heritage Management, (invited by A. Bounia), Athens, (11/5/2015).
- “Film. Ethnography and Sensorial Density”, Seminar, Twixt Lab, Athens, (12/12/2014).
- “Anthropology, Visuality and the Material Turn”, Department of Social Anthropology, Panteion University, Postgraduate course, (invited by E. Yalouri), Athens, (26/11/2013)
- “Visual Culture”, Department of Social Anthropology, Panteion University, Undergraduate course, (invited by E. Yalouri), Athens, (03/04/2013).
- “Visual Culture, Anthropology and Art”, Athens School of Fine Arts, Undergraduate and postgraduate seminar, (invited by E. Rikou), Athens, (04/04/2013).
- “Anthropology, Photography and Postcolonial Art”, Athens School of Fine Arts, Postgraduate Seminar (invited by K. Ioannidis), Athens (22/02/2010).
Co-teaching and/or work as teaching assistant
- “Photography and Anthropology”, Department of Anthropology, University College London (one class with C. Pinney during Winter term 2017).
-09/2008-01/2009. Teaching Assistant for “Introduction to Theoretical Perspectives in Social Anthropology and Material Culture” (main teachers: C. Stewart, P. Favero), University College London. Duties: Tutoring 3rd year undergraduate students, supervision and essay grading.
-2022, "Thinking through Tourism in Crete: Anthropological Reflections on Power, Imagination and Representation", Empiria Learning Program (6/7/2022).
- 2022 “On Photography, Imagination and the Visual”, Harvard Summer Program, Olympia, Greece (13/7/2022).
- 2022 “Photography, Ethnography and Visual Culture,” The University of California Berkeley, Department of Anthropology, Class on multimodal anthropology, taught by Daniel Fischer, (26/7/2022).
- 2021, "Touring Among Warriors: Power, Photography and Fantasy in the Highlands of Crete", Empiria Learning Program (6/7/2021).
- 2015 (mid July) til present, “Photography and Anthropology”, Course at the Summer school “Visual Ethnography of Cityscapes” (with updates each year), Ethnofest and Netherlands Institute at Athens.